AUDITION: The Addams Family – School Edition
Presented by The Majestic Academy of Dramatic Arts
(Ages 12-17*) *You must be within these ages at the time of audition; proof of age may be required.
Monday, August 12th at 6:00pm
Tuesday, August 13th at 6:00pm
Wednesday, August 14th at 6:00pm
Book by: Marshall Brickman & Rick Elice / Music & Lyrics by: Andrew Lippa
The Addams Family School Edition has been carefully edited, with additional director’s notes throughout, to make the show more producible for high school groups. In some cases problematic language has been changed, while in others an alternate choice is offered at the discretion of the director. The Addams Family features an original story, and it’s every father’s nightmare. Wednesday Addams, the ultimate princess of darkness, has grown up and fallen in love with a sweet, smart young man from a respectable family – a man her parents have never met. And if that weren’t upsetting enough, Wednesday confides in her father and begs him not to tell her mother. Now, Gomez Addams must do something he’s never done before – keep a secret from his beloved wife, Morticia. Everything will change for the whole family on the fateful night they host a dinner for Wednesday’s ‘normal’ boyfriend and his parents.
DIRECTED BY JOCELYN DUFORD
- GOMEZ ADDAMS: A man of Spanish descent who takes great pride in his family and revels in all it means to be an “Addams.” He struggles with having to keep his daughter’s secret from his wife, whom he adores more than death. Smart, comedic actor with bari-tenor vocals.
- MORTICIA ADDAMS: The strength of the family. An easy comedic actress with a dry wit. Feels her husband is hiding something from her and will use any tactic to lure the secret out. A strong dancer/mover with alto/mezzo-soprano vocals.
- UNCLE FESTER: The androgynous family member who serves as the musical’s narrator, he is larger than life, an energetic, joyous, child-like presence. A vaudeville-style comedian.
- WEDNESDAY ADDAMS: Wednesday has the same dry wit and sensibility of her mother. Finds love with a “normal” boy (Lucas) and wants to introduce his family to hers. Experiences the youthful drama that comes with first love. Lucas can actually put a smile on her face. Strong pop belt vocals.
- GRANDMAMA: She is a feisty 102-year-old woman. Fun and quirky, but don’t mess with Grandma! Comedic actress with strong character vocals.
- PUGSLEY ADDAMS: A charming, funny, husky boy who loves being tortured by his sister, he wants to ensure he won’t lose his sister to her new boyfriend so he takes matters into his own hands. Strong, high vocals.
- LURCH: A very tall male character, the Addams butler who knows all. He speaks in moans and groans without becoming a cartoon version of himself. His movement is always very slow. Character actor with low bass vocals.
- MAL BEINEKE: The stuffy father of 19-year-old Lucas, and exasperated husband to his rhyming wife, Alice. At one time was a follower of The Grateful Dead but has lost that side of himself. Always looking out for his family. High baritone/tenor vocals
- ALICE BEINEKE: Mother of Lucas, devoted to her family so she puts aside her own desires. In shape, quirky female who often speaks in rhyme. While at the Addams Family dinner party, she drinks a potion that causes her to let her hair down and speak her truth. Comedic actress with soprano/belt vocals.
- LUCAS BEINEKE: Fell in love with Wednesday Addams and plans to marry her. Experiences the youthful pain and drama of young love and struggles with the differences between his family and the Addams family. Contemporary pop tenor vocals.
- THE ADDAMS ANCESTORS: All chorus members will take on an Addams Family
Ancestor “character” – Bride, Groom, Flapper, Hippie, Pilgrim, Caveman, Soldier,
Saloon Girl etc. Something for everyone!
- REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: (at Majestic Studios) STARTS TUES. 8/20/19
- TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS from 6pm-8:30pm (small groups)
- SATURDAYS from 2:00-5:30pm (full cast)
- MANDATORY DRESS REHEARSALS: (at Derry Opera House)
- MONDAY, OCTOBER 14th from 6:00-9:00pm
- TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15th from 6:00-9:00pm
- WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 16th from 6:00-9:00pm
- THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17th from 6:00-9:00pm
- MANDATORY PERFORMANCES: (at Derry Opera House)
- FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18th at 7:00pm / 6:00pm call
- SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19th at 7:00pm / 6:00pm call
- SUNDAY, OCTOBER 20th at 2:00pm / 1:00pm call
- followed by MANDATORY STRIKE for all cast members (usually about 30 minutes past the end of the final show).
- You do not need to make an audition appointment, simply show up. We see people in the order they arrive and complete paperwork. To print and fill out the audition form ahead of time please click here: Audition Form 2018-19 – Youth
- IMPORTANT: If you audition for our production and are cast it is expected you will follow through and do our production; failure to do so may prevent you from being cast in a future show as you will have possibly taken a spot from someone who was not cast. If you are auditioning ONLY for specific roles you may specify that on the audition form and you will only be considered for those roles. If you do not specify we will assume you will accept ANY role offered.
- There is a $125 production fee associated with this production (if you need financial assistance please fill out our Majestic Theatre Scholarship App Form 18 – this should be done immediately AFTER casting as needing scholarship assistance is NOT a factor in casting). This includes all rehearsal materials for the show, a show t-shirt, and professionally taken photos of the production.
- In addition, there is a $75 “Doing Your Part” deposit that you get back once all production support items are completed: Addams Family DYP
- Please prepare a musical selection that shows off the character of your voice; please bring sheet music (pianist provided) or a backing track (blu-tooth to our stereo or bring a CD).
- Audition may also consist of readings from the script (provided at audition time).