AUDITION: AIDA – School Edition
Presented by The Majestic Academy of Dramatic Arts Teens
(Ages 13-18*) *You must be within these ages at the time of audition; proof of age may be required.
Monday, March 11th at 6:00pm
Wednesday, March 13th at 6:00pm
Music by Elton John / Lyrics by Tim Rice
Book by Linda Woolverton, Robert Falls, David Henry Hwang
Adapted from the four-time Tony Award-winning hit, Elton John and Tim Rice’s Aida School Edition is an epic tale of love, loyalty and betrayal, chronicling the love triangle between Aida, a Nubian princess stolen from her country, Amneris, an Egyptian princess, and Radames, the soldier that they both love.
An enslaved Nubian princess, Aida, finds her heart entangled with Radames, an Egyptian soldier who is betrothed to the Pharaoh’s daughter, Amneris. As their forbidden love blossoms, Aida is forced to weigh her heart against the responsibility that she faces as the leader of her people. Aida and Radames’ love for one another becomes a shining example of true devotion that ultimately transcends the vast cultural differences between their warring nations, heralding a time of unprecedented peace and prosperity.
With an unforgettable score that features soaring ballads and rousing choral numbers, Aida School Edition is a modern crowd-pleaser that embraces multicultural casting and exuberant dancing, staging and singing for large cast sizes. This author-approved edition has been abridged to a running time of just over two hours and specially adapted to meet the needs of young performers, while carefully maintaining the integrity of the original version.
DIRECTED BY ELLEN DESMOND
MUSIC DIRECTION BY KEITH BELANGER
CHOREOGRAPHY BY CANDACE (GLICKMAN) GATZOULIS
CHARACTERS (All ages considered):
- Amneris: A beautiful and materialistic Egyptian Princess who is the betrothed of Captain Radames. Daughter of the Pharaoh.
- Radames: An Egyptian Captain and the son of Zoser. A strong, handsome, adventurous soldier who falls in love with Aida.
- Aida: A beautiful, brave Nubian Princess who is loyal to her people but is torn between her heritage and love for an Egyptian Captain. Daughter of King Amonasro.
- Mereb: A young Nubian slave and servant to Radames. He is faithful to his Nubian heritage and befriends Aida upon her arrival to Egypt.
- Zoser: The manipulative and evil Chief Minister hungry for power. He attempts to poison the Pharaoh and is father to Radames.
- Pharaoh: The Leader of Egypt and father to Amneris. An older, distinguished gentleman.
- Nehebka: A Nubian slave who is friendly with Aida. She creates a robe for the Nubian Princess.
- Amonasro: An honorable and peaceful man who is imprisoned by Egypt. The King of Nubia and father to Aida.
- Ensemble*: Ministers; Soldiers; Egyptian Men; Palace Women; Nubians; Guards*This is an Ensemble show with lots of stage time!
SCHEDULES (Starts Tuesday, March 20th*)
- *FIRST WEEK SCHEDULE: (at Majestic Studios)
WEDNESDAY 3/20 (leads for music and character)
SUNDAY 3/24 (lead/solo music/blocking)
MONDAY 3/25 – Full cast read thru
- REMAINING REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: (at Majestic Studios)
MONDAYS from 6:00-9:00pm
WEDNESDAYS from 6:00-9:00pm
- SATURDAYS from 2:15-5:00pm (April 6, 13, and 20 only)
SUNDAYS from 12:00-4:00pm-Sundays 4/7 and 4/14 from 11-5
- MANDATORY TECH WEEK:
- SUNDAY, MAY 5th from 12-8pm (TBA)
- MONDAY, MAY 6th from 6-10pm (at Derry Opera House)
- TUESDAY, MAY 7th from 6-10pm (at Derry Opera House)
- WEDNESDAY, MAY 8th from 6-10pm (at Derry Opera House)
- THURSDAY, MAY 9th from 6-10pm (at Derry Opera House)
- MANDATORY PERFORMANCES: (at Derry Opera House)
- FRIDAY, MAY 10th at 7:00pm
- SATURDAY, MAY 11th at 7:00pm
- SUNDAY, MAY 12th at 2pm*
- *Followed by MANDATORY Strike for ALL CAST (about 60 minutes post end of show)
- If you are auditioning ONLY for specific roles you may specify that on the audition form and you will only be considered for those roles.
- You do not need to make an audition appointment, simply show up. We see teens in the order they arrive and complete paperwork. To print and fill out the audition form ahead of time please click here: Audition Form 2018-19 – Youth
- There is a $100 production fee associated with this production (if you need financial assistance please fill out our Majestic Theatre Scholarship App Form 18 – this should be done immediately AFTER casting as needing scholarship assistance is NOT a factor in casting). In addition, there is a $75 “Doing Your Part” deposit that you get back once all production support items are completed: Aida DYP
- Please prepare a musical selection that shows off the character of your voice; please bring sheet music (pianist provided) or a backing track (blu-tooth to our stereo or bring a CD).
- Audition may also consist of readings from the script (provided at audition time).
- Please come prepared to move, as there will be a dance audition.
MEET THE STAFF:
Ellen Desmond (Director) A former middle school teacher and current employee of the NH Department of Education, Ellen Desmond is passionate about arts education and the learning that takes place during the creative process of staging productions. Inspired by her own middle school director, Jane Meier, Ellen has been directing and producing youth theatre productions for a decade, primarily in NH and MA schools and with RB Productions in Concord. She currently serves as the Vice President and Communications Committee Chair for the New Hampshire Theatre Alliance.
Keith Belanger (Resident Music Director) is enjoying his 8th season with The Majestic Theatre, and thrilled to be collaborating with his wife on yet another dinner theatre musical. Some of his favorite past projects include, The Wedding Singer, The Spitfire Grill, Gifts of the Magi, and Married Alive. Along with being the music minister at Grace Episcopal Church in East Concord, NH, and an entertainer at The Front Porch Piano Bar & Restaurant in Ogunquit, ME, Keith also works as a musician, vocal coach, accompanist, and actor / singer all across Southern and Lakes Region NH. Keith is employed full time with Premier Coach of VT, where he works as the Warner Terminal Supervisor. Keith lives in Derry with his supportive and loving wife Becca (yes, that Becca!), and their two sons (Conor & Jacob). Keith is very proud to call The Majestic Theatre his home away from home.
Candace Gatzoulis (Choreographer) began performing at the age of 10 and has been performing, directing, choreographing and teaching in the field of the performing arts for many years. A graduate from Emerson College, with a masters degree in Theatre Education, she is currently the Choral Director and Music/Drama Teacher at David R. Cawley Middle School, and has directed and choreographed over 30 community theatre and school productions. Recently seen in RB Productions’ Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins), theatre Kapow’s production of A Story that Cuts Like a Knife (The Woman), and Peacock Players’ Hairspray (Velma Von Tussle), Candace has had the opportunity to perform with the Boston Pops, and for the Red Sox and Celtics. A NH Theatre Awards Top 10 nominee in recent years as a director, choreographer and actress, she won the award for “Best Supporting Actress” as Anita in Majestic Theatre’s West Side Story in 2016, was a top 3 finalist for “Best Actress” in 2018 and 2019 for her performances as Tilly in theatre KAPOW’s Melancholy Play: a Chamber Musical and Mary Poppins in RB Productions Mary Poppins. She’s delighted to be working with Majestic Theatre as the choreographer for one of her favorite musicals, Aida.