Presented by The Majestic Productions (Adults 20+)
A COMEDY BY NEIL SIMON
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 6th at 7:00pm
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 10th at 4:00pm
This Broadway hit is a composite of Neil Simon and Anton Chekhov. In one sketch, a feisty old woman storms a bank and upbraids the manager for his gout and lack of money. In another, a father takes his son to a house to initiate him into the mysteries of sex, only to relent at the last moment and leave the boy more perplexed than ever. In another sketch, a crafty seducer goes to work on a wedded woman, only to realize that the woman has been in command from the first overture. And let us not forget the classic tale of a man who offers to drown himself for three rubles. The stories are droll, the portraits affectionate, the humor infectious, and the fun unending.
A combination of Neil Simon and Chekhov, The Good Doctor, a comedy, is, by turns, charming, hilarious, sad, and touching. It centers around a writer, who speaks to the audience and shares his writing with them, throughout one day. He presents them with a plethora of scenes: some are from his childhood, others are his family and friends, and still others are his own life experiences. The audience meets a variety of characters, all of whom are immediately relatable and strikingly human.
DIRECTED BY JOE PELONZI
CHARACTER INFORMATION (Ages are flexible – All Ages Considered):
ABOUT THE CHARACTERS & CASTING: While the show can be performed by as little as 5 people, we prefer a larger cast (12+) so actors will be in 2-3 scenes only. Some of the roles can M or F, but ideally we are looking for 8 males and 4 females. The director has committed to structure the schedule so that actors will not have to be at 3 rehearsals per week till later on. We are looking for actors in their 20’s up to 50.
CHARACTER/SCENE BREAKDOWN – ACT ONE:
- “The Writer” The play’s narrator, the Chekhov character, welcomes the interruption of an audience for his stories in a two-page monologue. 1 male
- “The Sneeze” A man in a theatre audience lets loose a monstrous sneeze that sprays the neck and head of the man seated in front of him—a man who just happens to be his superior at work. It’s not the sneeze, but the man’s reparations that cause his eventual demise. 3 males, 2 females
- “The Governess” An officious employer unfairly subtracts and subtracts money from her meek governess’s wages. 2 females
- “Surgery” An eager inexperienced medical student wrestles with a man to yank his painful tooth out. 2 males
- “Too Late for Happiness” An older man and woman engage in small talk on a park bench, but their song reveals their inner thoughts and wishes. 1 male, 1 female
- “The Seduction” A bachelor shares his foolproof method of seducing other men’s wives with no direct contact until she is on her way into his arms. 2 males, 1 female
CHARACTER/SCENE BREAKDOWN – ACT TWO:
- “The Drowned Man” A man finds himself agreeing to pay a sailor for the entertainment of watching the sailor jump in the water to drown himself. 3 males
- “The Audition” A young inexperienced actress annoys and then enchants the Voice in the darkness of the theatre when she auditions. 1 male, 1 female
- “A Defenseless Creature” A woman dumps her considerable woes on a bank manager with such vehemence and histrionics that he gives her money just to get rid of her. 2 males, 1 female
- “The Arrangement” A father negotiates a price with a woman to give his son his first sexual experience as a 19th birthday gift. Then he has second thoughts. 2 males, 1 female
- “The Writer” The play’s narrator thanks the audience for visiting and listening to his stories. 1 male
- “A Quiet War” Two retired military officers hold their weekly park bench meeting to continue discussing their disagreements. This week’s topic of conflict is the perfect lunch. 2 males
SCHEDULES (Starts Tuesday 11/12/19)
- REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: (at Majestic Studios)
- SUNDAYS at 6:00pm
- TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS at 7:00pm
- MANDATORY TECH WEEK (at Majestic Studios):
- SUNDAY, DECEMBER 29th from 6:00pm-?
- MONDAY, DECEMBER 30th from 7:00pm-?
- TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31st — NO REHEARSAL
- WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 1st from 7:00pm-?
- THURSDAY, JANUARY 2nd from 7:00pm-? (move in to Executive Court)
- MANDATORY PERFORMANCES (at Executive Court):
- FRIDAY, JANUARY 3rd at 7:00pm / 6pm call
- SATURDAY, JANUARY 4th at 7:00pm / 6pm call
- SUNDAY, JANUARY 5th at 1:30pm/12:30pm call
- *Followed by MANDATORY Strike for ALL CAST
- Although this is a dinner theatre performance actors are NOT expected to help in any aspect of the dinner portion of the event. We do ask for volunteers to help seat the crowd (not required) for the first 10-15 minutes when doors open to get the initial crowd to their seats. You then have an hour to get ready for the show while the guests are having dinner.
- Monologues and welcome, but not required.
- You do not need to make an appointment – auditions are “open call”
- Be prepared to bring all schedule conflicts to list on the audition form.
- There is a $25 production fee associated with this production.
- Audition will also consist of readings from the script (provided at audition time).