AUDITION: ELF The Musical*
A Majestic Family Musical – NH Community Theatre Premiere!
ALL AGES WELCOME – Adults / Teens / Children 7 and Up
*This is the FULL ADULT VERSION and not the Jr. / It is appropriate for all ages.
Tuesday, September 17th at 6:30pm
Sunday, September 22nd at 1:00pm
Book by Thomas Meehan and Bob Martin / Music by Matthew Sklar
Lyrics by Chad Beguelin / Based on the New Line Cinema film by David Berenbaum
Based on the beloved holiday film, this hilarious fish-out-of-water comedy follows Buddy the Elf in his quest to find his true identity.
A title known the world over, Elf The Musical is a must-produce holiday musical that can easily become an annual tradition for any theatre. Based on the cherished 2003 New Line Cinema hit, Elf features songs by Tony Award nominees Matthew Sklar (The Wedding Singer) and Chad Beguelin (Disney’s Aladdin on Broadway), with a book by Tony Award winners,Thomas Meehan (Annie, The Producers, Hairspray) and Bob Martin (The Drowsy Chaperone).
Buddy, a young orphan, mistakenly crawls into Santa’s bag of gifts and is transported to the North Pole. The would-be elf is raised, unaware that he is actually a human until his enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth. With Santa’s permission, Buddy embarks on a journey to New York City to find his birth father and discover his true identity. Faced with the harsh realities that his father is on the naughty list and his half-brother doesn’t even believe in Santa, Buddy is determined to win over his new family and help New York remember the true meaning of Christmas.
This modern-day holiday classic is sure to make everyone embrace their inner elf. After all, the best way to spread Christmas Cheer is singing loud for all to hear.
DIRECTED BY BECCA ANTONAKOS BELANGER
MUSICAL DIRECTION BY KEITH BELANGER
- BUDDY: Born a human but raised at the North Pole as a Christmas Elf, Buddy is eager to find his place in the world. He is a child at heart and that child-like curiosity makes him both endearing and gets him into trouble. Gender: Male / Age: 25 to 35 / Vocal range: Ab2 to C5
- JOVIE: Buddy’s girlfriend. She works at Macy’s and has a bit of a cynical outlook on life and love because of the men she’s dated. She is caught off guard by Buddy’s genuinely big heart. Gender: Female / Age: 25 to 30 / Vocal range: G3 to D5
- WALTER: Buddy’s workaholic father. He is a Children’s book writer, but lacks any of the childlike spirit that Buddy has. He is selfish, tense, and generally angry with life. Gender: Male / Age: 55 to 65 / Vocal range: A2 to G4
- EMILY: Walter’s wife. Though she is sweet and willing to take him in, she thinks Buddy is crazy at first. Wishes her husband would spend more time with the family. Gender: Female / Age: 40 to 50 / Vocal range: F3 to Eb5
- MICHAEL: Buddy’s stepbrother who is excited to have a new friend and brother. Unlike his mother, he doesn’t take much convincing to have Christmas spirit, but like his mother, he wishes his father would spend more time with the family. Gender: Male / Age: 12 to 16 / Vocal range: F3 to G5
- DEB: Walter’s secretary. Takes an instant liking to Buddy simply for the novelty of it. Though she aims to please and is a bit of a suck-up, she feels under appreciated. Gender: Female / Age: 25 to 55 / Vocal range: D4 to Eb5
- MANAGER: A heavy-set manager at Macy’s. He is a good, friendly guy just trying to do his job and get by. Gender: Male / Age: 35 to 40 / Vocal range: B2 to F#4
- GREENWAY: Walter’s boss. He is what Walter will become if he continues down the path he is on. A tyrannical, workaholic who cares nothing about the people around him or who work for him. Gender: Male / Age: 55 to 65
- SANTA: Just another workingman. Loves his job and Christmas, but also likes to kick-back and watch the game when a rare opportunity arises. A natural storyteller. Gender: Male / Age: 65 to 80 / Vocal range top: A2 to E4
- CHADWICK: One of Walter’s right-hand men. He is desperate to keep his job, and perhaps the dumber of the two. Gender: Male / Age: 40 to 50
- MATTHEWS: One of Walter’s right-hand men. He is desperate to keep his job and is the schemer of the two. Gender: Male / Age: 35 to 40
- ENSEMBLE ROLES (All Ages): Mrs. Claus, Elves, Charlie, Shwanda, Mr. Narwhal, Teenager, Employees, Security Guard 1&2, Customer 1&2, Saleswoman, Store Elf 1&2, Fake Santa 1&2&3, Boy, Mother, Policeman 1&2, Sarah, Jim, Vendor, Waitress, Charlotte, Man, Woman
- REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: (at Majestic Studios) STARTS SUN. 9/29/19
- SUNDAYS from 1:00-5:00pm
- MONDAYS and THURSDAYS from 6:30pm-9:30pm
- MANDATORY DRESS REHEARSALS: (at Derry Opera House)
- SUNDAY, DECEMBER 8th from 12-8pm (MOVE IN)
- MONDAY, DECEMBER 9th from 6pm-???
- TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10th from 6pm-???
- WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 11th from 6pm-???
- THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12th from 6pm-???
- MANDATORY PERFORMANCES: (at Derry Opera House)
- FRIDAY, DECEMBER 13th at 7:00pm
- SATURDAY, DECEMBER 14th at 2:00pm
- SATURDAY, DECEMBER 14th at 7:00pm
- SUNDAY, DECEMBER 15th at 2:00pm
- followed by MANDATORY STRIKE for all cast members.
- You do not need to make an audition appointment, simply show up. We see people in the order they arrive and complete paperwork. To print and fill out the audition form ahead of time please click here: Audition Form – Master.
- There is a $25 production fee associated with this production ($50 maximum per family)
- Please prepare a musical selection that shows off the character of your voice; please bring sheet music (pianist provided) or a backing track (blu-tooth to our stereo or bring a CD). Children 10 and under may sing “Happy Birthday” or “Twinkle Twinkle” – no accompaniment needed.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT ABLE TO OFFER PUBLIC WiFi in OUR BUILDING AT THIS TIME.
- Audition may also consist of readings from the script (provided at audition time).
- Please come prepared to move, as there may be a basic dance audition.