AUDITION: The Rainbow Fish Musical
Presented by The Majestic Academy of Dramatic Arts Teens
2019 Teen Touring Musical
(Ages 13-18*) *You must be within these ages at the time of audition; proof of age may be required.
Monday, May 20th at 6:30pm
Wednesday, March 22nd at 6:30pm
BOOK, MUSIC AND LYRICS BY AUSTIN ZUMBRO
Everybody loves the international bestseller and award-winning book,The Rainbow Fish, with its wonderful message of friendship and belonging. Now you can bring the magical, colorful world of the deep blue sea to life on your stage! With shiny, multi-colored scales, Rainbow Fish is the most beautiful fish in all of the ocean, and the only one of his (or her!) kind. When Rainbow Fish refuses to share his vibrant, shimmering scales, the whole ocean seems to turn against the vain creature. Unhappy that no one adores him anymore, the Rainbow Fish seeks out the wise Octopus, who helps him learn that it’s far better to be admired for being kind than for being beautiful. With a bubbly, energetic score and a script that invites wonderful creativity and flexibility, the universal message at the heart of this delightful musical becomes much more than just a simple children’s story.
This small-cast musical was created at the renowned Bay Area Children’s Theatre, where it premiered to great acclaim in front of over 5000 enthusiastic young audience members. With a dynamic cast as small as five players, this well-crafted musical — sure to become a TYA classic — teaches young audiences that the joy of beauty is in sharing it with others.
Adapted from the book by Marcus Pfister, Translated into English by J. Alison James, with illustrations by Marcus Pfister.
DIRECTED BY MORGAN BLAIS and MEGHAN DOLLEY
RAINBOW FISH: the sheltered prince. Young, naive, and self-centered, his self-worth has been defined by his beauty his entire life. Since he has never left the reef where he is famous, his limited worldview has been continually reinforced.
LITTLE FISH: a kid-fish. Unafraid and curious, but also aware that those qualities don’t always add up to positive social interactions. Believes being annoying is an acceptable outcome for getting what you want.
STARFISH: the court jester. A happy, unflappable simpleton.
MS. MINNOW: the teacher. Gentle and guiding.
OCTOPUS: the soothsayer. A sage, handy, cave-dweller who lives far from the coral reef.
PUFFERFISH: the stuffy aristocrat. Style editor for the Coral Chronicle.
CLOWNFISH: another stuffy aristocrat. Garden Society president annoyed by circus clown remarks.
HERMIT CRAB: a kid-crab. Part of the school. A happy, unflappable nerd.
SARDINE: a kid-fish. A little sarcastic.
- REHEARSAL SCHEDULE: (at Majestic Studios) STARTS MON. 5/27
- MONDAYS and WEDNESDAYS from 6pm-8pm
- MANDATORY DRESS REHEARSALS: (at Majestic Studios)
- Monday, July 15th from 6-8pm
- Tuesday, July 16th from 6-8pm
- MANDATORY PERFORMANCES: (transportation provided)
- Wednesday, July 17th 10am / Majestic Studios (public)
- Tuesday, July 23rd 10am / Pembroke NH (private)
- Thursday, July 25th 6pm / Manchester NH (private)
- Friday, July 26th 10am / Manchester NH (private)
- Tuesday, July 23rd 2pm / Litchfield NH (private)
- Wednesday, July 31st 10am / Manchester NH (public)
- Tuesday, August 6th 11am / Hooksett NH (private)
- Wednesday, August 7th 1pm / Goffstown NH (private)
- You do not need to make an audition appointment, simply show up. We see teens in the order they arrive and complete paperwork. To print and fill out the audition form ahead of time please click here: Audition Form 2018-19 – Youth
- There is a $30 production fee associated with this production (if you need financial assistance please fill out our Majestic Theatre Scholarship App Form 18 – this should be done immediately AFTER casting as needing scholarship assistance is NOT a factor in casting). There is no DYP requirement for this show, but parents will be asked to help as they are able.
- Please prepare a musical selection that shows off the character of your voice; please bring sheet music (pianist provided) or a backing track (blu-tooth to our stereo or bring a CD).
- Audition may also consist of readings from the script (provided at audition time).